The idea of Bio-identical Hormone therapy intrigues many of my patients but many are cautious and confused about health concerns related to synthetic or equine hormone replacement (think horse hormones) versus bio-identical hormone therapy. This article hopefully will help you understand whether or not you are a good candidate for bio-identical hormone replacement.
Historically, hormone replacement was given to women and sometimes men for menopausal symptoms. These hormones were typically synthetic or animal hormones and carried with them significant clotting or stroke risk as well as breast cancer risk. In contrast, pellet hormone therapy, like the BioTE medical pellets that Dr. Wang uses in her office has no known increased risk of breast or prostate cancer and no increase in blood clots, heart attack or stroke. BioTE pellets have been used in almost 1 million insertions with extensive data collected on our patients to measure health outcomes. Why the difference? The safety of bioidentical hormones are due to the form of the hormone (not synthetic or animal derived) and the route of administration (subcutaneous rather than oral). Oral estrogens increase risk of heart, stroke or breast cancer risk due to liver conversion of the hormone. Pellets are absorbed by the skin into the circulation and do not lead to the same outcomes related to oral estrogens.
Advantages of pellet therapy include:
- Steady state of hormones, no roller coaster effect because there is not daily dosing of the hormones and no skipped days.
- Improved patient compliance due to 2-4 insertions per year. Improves lipids (increase HDL), insulin sensitivity and improves body composition (more muscle, less fat).
- No significant weight gain.
- Best method to increase bone density (one of the best plusses for those concerned about osteoporosis)
- No increase in inflammatory markers.
- No increased risk of breast or prostate cancer.
- No increase in blood clots, heart attack or stroke.
Advantages of Bio-identical hormone replacement:
- Relief from peri-menopausal symptoms including
- Hot flashes/night sweats
- Heart palpitations
- Bone Pain
- Loss of libido
- Poor memory and concentration
- Heart palpitations
- Frequent UTI or urinary incontinence
- Vaginal dryness
- Mood improvement
- Sleep regulation
- Reverses sexual aging symptoms including:
- erectile dysfunction in men
- libido concerns in both men and women
- Improves sexual interest and desire
- Improves satisfaction
- Vaginal dryness and pain with intercourse in women
- Reduces brain deterioration and onset of dementia, including Alzheimer’s
- Improves Body composition and strength
- Increases muscle mass
- Increases lean muscle mass
- Decreases fat mass
- Increases exercise tolerance
- Increases bone mineral density
- Better energy
- Builds bone and reduces risk of osteoporosis
- Protects the heart and reduces risk of heart attacks and stroke
If you have interest in Bio-identical hormone replacement, contact our offices so that we can further assist you in attaining optimal health.